On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 14:13:11 -0800
Matt Turner <matts...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> The long tail of packages were packages that by definition didn't
> require any maintenance or add to our collective cognitive overhead.
> :)

In some cases, they "didn't require maintenance" because nobody was
using them.

And because nobody was using them, nobody realised they were broken.

Subsequently, the "has old EAPI" is a good indicator in some cases of
"this package has not seen love in a while, and is probably broken"

Revisiting old packages like this root out real problems, like "oh,
this is so broken, it silently installed but didn't run at all for 3
years...."

Which won't become apparent until some poor user attempts to use it,
and at that point, you *hope* they file a bug.

So the resulting re-stabilization ends up forcibly expanding the test
audience, reaffirming "this package that nobody has glanced at for 5+
years still works on every platform we said it did", which is probably
an important thing to be able to state when a package is deemed
'stable'.