On 03/10/2018 05:38 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Zac Medico posted on Sat, 10 Mar 2018 15:16:29 -0800 as excerpted:
>
>> Changes:
>>   * First paragraph rewritten by Robin Johnson <robbat2>
>>   * Fixes spelling of 'following' reported by Michael Everitt
>>

>> Title: Portage rsync tree verification unstable
>> Author: Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org>
>> Revision: 1
>> News-Item-Format: 2.0
>> Display-If-Installed: sys-apps/portage
>>
>> Portage rsync tree verification is being temporarily turned off by
>> default, starting with sys-apps/portage-2.3.24. This permits
>> stabilization of sys-apps/portage-2.3.24 while still working on bugs
>> relating to tree verification [1]: deadlocks [2] & key fetching [3].
>
>> [...]
>
> With robbat2's first paragraph rewrite the effect isn't quite as bad
> as that of the first draft, but the title still refers to "unstable",
> which in addition to the intended package-stability meaning, has a
> number of more severe and thus unnecessarily alarming meanings not
> intended here.
>
> FWIW, being security minded and knowing verification related to
> security, my own first thought was an app instability due to a
> potentially exploitable buffer-overflow... in code dealing with
> verification and thus potentially remotely triggerable during
> verification itself, definitely more alarming than intended!
>
> Thankfully robbat2's rewrite clarifies in the body now, but
> I still think the title remains overly alarming.
>
> Maybe "... remains unstable" or "not yet stable", as in:

Well, "unstable" sounds alarming when used to describe a person's
emotional state, but it then context of software I think it's less
alarming. I've found some discussion here:

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/8351/what-s-the-etymology-of-the-word-unstable-in-the-context-of-software

> Title: Portage rsync tree verification not yet stable
>
> Or better, refer to the FEATURE flag "rsync-verify" in the title,
> so it's clear it's not a portage/emerge-executable instability,
> and clarify that it's the stable keyword, something like this
> (but might be too long, do those news item short title limits
> still apply?):
>
> Title: Portage rsync-verify feature not yet stable-keyworded
>
> Perhaps omit the -keyworded if that's too long:
>
> Title: Portage rsync-verify feature not yet stable
>
> Feel free to revise further...

I really don't want to spend a lot of time making revisions, and I think
"unstable" communicates well enough in this case.
--
Thanks,
Zac