On 2018.03.23 09:48, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

> > for both portage and your fork I think that could be interesting add
> > an extension to PMS for define inside profiles or targets masking of
> > packages of a particular repslository. Currently PMS doesn't permit
> > this but have this feature could be help users to define our
> > profiles under overlays.
>
> > Something like this:
>
> > sys-devel/gcc::gentoo
>
> Conceptually that makes no sense. sys-devel/gcc is the name of an
> upstream package, so what does it even mean to mask it in one
> repository but not in another? If it's the same package, then it
> should behave in the same way, regardless of the repository its ebuild
> it hosted in (or the package being installed, in which case it is no
> longer in an ebuild repository).
>
> If it is a different package however, then it should have a different
> name.
>
> Ulrich

Ulrich,

That has just irritated me.  The use case is sdlmame.

!!! The following installed packages are masked:
- games-emulation/sdlmame-0.195::Pi_aarch64 (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Pacho Ramos <pa...@gentoo.org> (18 Mar 2018)
# Fails to build (#634662), version bump long time pending (#596162).
# Removal in a month.

games-emulation/sdlmame is masked. I have a higher version in my
overlay than the one in the tree and it gets masked too.
Its not a problem to me as I know how to manage it.  Its just untidy.

With apologies to Pacho for citing his name in the worked
example.

--
Regards,

Roy Bamford