On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Matt Turner <matts...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 11:51 PM, Dennis Schridde <devuran...@gmx.net>
> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I see sandbox violations similar to "ACCESS DENIED: open_wr: /dev/dri/
> > renderD128" pop up for more and more packages, probably since OpenCL
> becomes
> > used more widely.  Hence I would like to ask: Could we in Gentoo treat
> GPUs
> > just like CPUs and allow any process to access render nodes (i.e. the
> GPUs
> > compute capabilities via the specific interface the Linux kernel's DRM
> offers
> > for that purpose) without sandbox restrictions?
> >
> > --Dennis
> >
> > See-Also: https://bugs.gentoo.org/654216
>
> This seems like a bad idea. With CPUs we've had decades to work out
> how to isolate processes and prevent them from taking down the system.
>
> GPUs are not there yet. It's simple to trigger an unrecoverable GPU
> hang and not much harder to turn it into a full system lock up.
>

> This is not safe.

Is the sandbox considered a security boundary? Certainly in earlier
(LD_PRELOAD based) implementation it was not.
Instead it was intended to protect the build environment from leaks (e.g.
accessing unwanted host state in the build env.)

Sure it also in theory prevented build environments from writing to the
host; but it didn't do a very secure job of it.

-A