Am Samstag, 12. Mai 2018, 16:21:26 CEST schrieb Ulrich Mueller:

> > just an idea for now. But what you think about multiversion ebuilds?
> > Technically this could be realized with the following line in the
> > ebuild itself:
> > ```
> > VERSIONS=( 3.0.11 3.0.12 3.1 )
> > ```
>
> > [...]
>
> > The advantages of this idea I see are:
> > - Ebuilds are written in a multiversion manner anyway, and then get
> > copied (or linked?), so it can be made explicit.
> > - The diffs between different versions of ebuilds and the commit
> > history are way more readable.
>
> That depends on the options you specify for git diff (e.g.,
> --find-renames, --find-copies, or --find-copies-harder).
This does not apply to the online diffs (see e.g. [1]). I assume that most
users don't have
the git repository checked out.

> > - The size of the tree reduces.
>
> I very much doubt that (or at least it remains to be proven).
>
> Currently, when an ebuild is copied for a version bump, it will reuse
> the same blob in the Git repository. With the scheme above, you would
> have to modify the ebuild, which would add a new blob for every
> version bump.
You are right, I've not thought about that. However, this is only true for
the repository not for the rsync copy most(?) users have and not for a checkout.

Gerion

[1]
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=d9397ab8d48feb4b1360be614da35fa2faae44d9