On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 11:47 AM, Jason A. Donenfeld <zx...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 6:02 PM R0b0t1 <r03...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Signed hashes should be faster, no? Each directory with files could
>> have a manifest.
>
> Signatures work over hashes of data, anyway. I think what you're
> wondering, though, is the granularity of each signature? I'd recommend
> this be done on the per-file level, since we wouldn't want gentoo devs
> signing files in a directory they haven't actually inspected. For
> example, eclasses.

Ah, okay then - I think at one time in the past GPG did something
strange with file contents directly, or perhaps the implementation was
just inefficient. It was maybe related to Debian where I first read
about this? They were signing an .iso directly and found it was faster
to hash it and then sign the hash.

>> > - Ensure the naming scheme of portage files is sufficiently strict, so
>> > that renaming or re-parenting signed files doesn't result in RCE. [*]
>> > - Distribute said .asc files with rsync per usual.
>>
>> Rsync would work with this setup, but there is also webrsync-gpg in
>> Portage right now. This covers the vast majority of usecases right
>> now.
>
> Not sure whether you've missed the point or if you're responding to
> something slightly different, but it's worth noting that both rsync
> and webrsync-gpg right now check against infra signatures, rather than
> developer signatures, and this is a big problem.

Right, I lost track of that. The infrastructure or release developers
are implicitly trusting all developers, so I suppose cutting out the
middleman will reduce work.