On Tue, 3 Jul 2018, Matt Turner wrote:
On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 11:38 AM Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
4.  by default git tends to accumulate history, which can eat up disk
space.  I imagine this could be automatically trimmed if users wanted,
though during syncing it would at least need to store all the commits
between the last fetched and next-fetched, and that means fetching
things that might have been subsequently removed/changed

This is why I have not switched to git. I have /usr/portage on a
separate 1GB partition (with distfiles and packages stored elsewhere).
The ebuild tree is 600MB with rsync and cannot fit on the partition
with git.

I'd be happy to switch if the space requirements were similar.
Same here. One cannot avoid 3 things: death, taxes and insufficient hard-disk space.

Andrey