On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 1:21 PM, William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> is there a tracker for when the portage tree can be moved out of
> /usr/portage by default?

I suspect the answer is 'whenever' but that mostly depends on
implementation and what you want to accomplish.

Do you want:

 - All hosts everywhere to move from $CURRENT to $NEW?
 - Only new installs to move from $CURRENT to $NEW?

> If not, what is the status of us being able to do this?

The former is probably 3 times easier than the latter.
 - Get testers to move their tree and report issues[0].
 - Change the stage3 defaults to be the new location.
 - Explicitly do nothing else.

New installs will get the new location, old installs will get the old
location.

The latter is harder (one must design and execute a migration for existing
installs) and I suspect the value of such a migration is low and the risk
high.
Is there any advantage to migrating existing installs?

[0] A number of people already point PORTDIR at some other location and
appear to operate without major issues.