On 07/19/2018 11:49 PM, Aaron Bauman wrote:
> You are denying the majority default here. Granted, we don't have
> statistics... Cuz Gentoo.

No I'm not. I'm saying add them per-package, because it's a better
design. We have package.use in profiles now, not just IUSE defaults.

Global defaults have problems:

  * They can't be undone. It's next to impossible for me to undo
    USE=udev when set in a profile that is inherited by all others.

  * USE=udev means different things for different packages. You think it
    "makes udev work" or whatever, but nobody has any idea what it does
    for half of the packages that use it. The meaning is package-
    specific, so the default should be package-specific.

  * They're easy to set, but hard do unset when you realize you were
    wrong a year from now.

If you really want to enable it globally after being told that it's bad
engineering and downright annoying, go do it in a profile that I can
avoid and not "linux".