[Proxying a message from Anders Thomson <andersthomson...@gmail.com>]

Hi Ulrich,
As non-devs aren't allowed to post to gentoo-dev, I was hoping that you would
proxy this question/comment for me.

While on the subject of changing defaults, could we consider changing the
(default) location of the pkg db? Roughly everything in /usr (and /(s)bin) is
managed by the package manager, and it would be handy if the db of installed
bits is close to the bits themselves . Keeping it in /var/ makes /var
opinionated on the current set of installed packages and thus another thing to
backup etc of you want "just the os/system stuff, not the applications'
databases". along the same vein, if you want /var to be on another storage
device (NAS/SAN for large databases), you get the OS's pkg db with it. If for
any reason a boot fails to get /var mounted, you're without the pkg db.

Something along the lines of /usr/lib/pkg ?

Best,
/Anders

http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs-3.0.html#varcacheApplicationCacheData

    > From the same source
    > "No other requirements are made on the data format of the cache
    > directories."
    > And as you have quoted it, everything under /var/cache is optional.

    > So anything which doesn't conflict with another package seems fine
    > according to FHS.

    That's how I would read it, too. We could of course invent a package
    name (like "package-manager" for virtual/package-manager) but it seems
    cumbersome, and I don't see any benefit of it.

    There also is /var/cache/fonts, so the FHS itself lists an example of
    a directory that's not named after a specific package.

    Ulrich