On 09-09-2018 11:22:41 -0400, Richard Yao wrote:
> -Werror has caught bugs that could have resulted in data loss in ZFS in the
> past thanks to it being built in userspace as part of zdb. So it is useful
> for integrity too, not just security (although arguably, integrity is part of
> security).

This is a misconception, as jer already pointed out.  Instead:

-Werror has forced you to take notice of problems that could have
resulted in data loss in ZFS ...

Also, consider that for -Werror to be "better", you also need -O3 in
order to activate the "proper" compiler checks like "variable set but
never used" ones.

> Perhaps we could have another USE flag for -Werror where it is a security
> feature. e.g. USE=strict-compile-checks

You better run a static code analyser, such as the one you can hook up
with Travis.  It usually points out real security problems such as
races, which GCC doesn't do yet, as far as I'm aware.  Let alone
trigger with -Werror.

Fabian

--
Fabian Groffen