On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 09:00:38 -0400
Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > The reason why it is in DEPEND though is that none of these tools
> > are required at runtime. They are needed at postinst and postrm
> > stages which afaik makes them DEPEND on EAPI previous to EAPI 7 and
> > BDEPEND in EAPI 7 if I'm not mistaken.
>
> This is incorrect; programs executed in pkg_postinst/pkg_postrm should
> be present in RDEPEND. Consider a binpkg installation, which would
> ignore DEPEND, but would still execute pkg_postinst.
>
> Another option: since xdg-utils.eclass functions will politely skip
> the updates if the tools are missing, we could just drop the
> dependency from xdg.eclass entirely and wait for the tools to get
> installed through some indirect means.

Unfortunately there is no correct answer here as we didn't consider
this scenario when planning EAPI 7. We should have looked at Exherbo,
which does make this important distinction. There is a bug report open.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/660306

What I will say is that we should not attempt to executing anything
from within ROOT or SYSROOT unless it known to be interpreted
(e.g. a shell script) and there is no feasible alternative. I add that
exclusion clause because I have been forced to do this with
python-config.

--
James Le Cuirot (chewi)
Gentoo Linux Developer