On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 7:26 PM Michael Orlitzky <m...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 3/2/19 7:05 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
> >
> > Is there a reason we still use run-parts and the
> > /etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly} structure to run repeating cron
> > jobs?
> >
> > From what I read in the chat earlier, it sounds like the modern crons
> > might be able to handle this without that structure, but I'm not sure.
>
> https://bugs.gentoo.org/69777
>
> Totally. We should replace run-parts with something much simpler and
> more predictable. Then, if that doesn't work for you, all modern crons
> can do the things that run-parts tries to do, but better.

I'm not sure I see the connection here.  All run-parts does is run all
the scripts in a directory.  That seems pretty simple and
deterministic.

The bug is about cronbase, which contains run-crons, along with
installing the cron.d directories.  I could see an argument for
splitting that package though obviously the package is already pretty
simple.

I imagine most cron implementations do not use run-crons.  Whether any
particular one (like vixie-cron) should seems like a matter of taste.

Are we just talking about not having vixie-cron use run-crons?  And
instead having it just have time-scheduled jobs for run-parts on the
various cron.* directories?  That seems a bit narrower in scope than
what was originally suggested, though it isn't clear to me what is
being suggested...

--
Rich