On 04/29/19 17:04, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 4:34 PM Dirkjan Ochtman <d...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>> In this article on chat services used for OSS:
>>
>> https://catfox.life/2019/04/28/keeping-libre-software-accessible-to-all/
>>
>> I was surprised to see a mention of Gentoo as a project that uses "Discord
>> as an official method of communication". When I searched, I indeed found
>> https://discordapp.com/invite/gentoo. However, I'd never before heard we
>> were using Discord (and didn't find any mentions of Discord on the -dev or
>> -project mailing lists).
>>
>> Is this indeed an official venue? It's not listed on
>> https://gentoo.org/support/ (which does mention IRC).
>
> Based on the #server-info channel, it looks like this server was
> created by Cynede. Perhaps they have more information.

Considering the reaction that I got when I asked him, I would advise
against bothering with contacting cynede about it. Specifically, when I
asked on irc the response was serial evasive answers and when I followed
up with e-mail the response mentioned the PR project wiki page (without
actually linking to it) and expressly requested that I never discuss it
with him again, that request was followed up with the same request being
made in a public irc channel, just because I was looking for a straight
answer and consistently not getting one. Also, I was accused of being a
sockpuppet for having asked, despite using my gentoo cloak on freenode
at the time.

As I was eventually able to discover, PR (or at least some members
thereof) describes any site on which the PR project has an account (in
the case of discord this type of account is known as a "server") to be
an "official" communications channel. These "official" communications
channels are not announced when created and do not have projects, even
PR sub-projects to tend to them, nor are they listed among the support
venues are they are evidently not for user support, as they are
evidently intended simply for announcements and such they are merely
listed on the PR project wiki page [PR].

[PR] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Public_Relations