On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 8:03 PM William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 07:30:57PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> > On 7/10/19 7:16 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
> > > 3. add a sysvinit use flag to openrc, which will be off by default. When
> > > it is on, openrc will block sysvinit since it will provide /sbin/init
> > > and /sbin/shutdown.
> > >

> > This logic, or maybe the name of the flag, sounds backwards to me. I
> > only get sysvinit when USE=sysvinit is NOT set?
>
> If you don't set sys-apps/openrc[sysvinit], you would have /sbin/init
> and /sbin/shutdown as they are now, from sys-apps/sysvinit.

Systemd already has IUSE=+sysv-utils which has a similar function:
[-      ] sysv-utils
    sys-apps/systemd: Install sysvinit compatibility symlinks and
    manpages for init, telinit, halt, poweroff, reboot, runlevel, and
    shutdown

RDEPEND="sysv-utils? ( !sys-apps/sysvinit )
         !sysv-utils? ( sys-apps/sysvinit )"

sysv-utils seems like a generic enough flag and I'd suggest that it
would be appropriate to use for openrc as well if it can install its
own implementation of these tools.

(For those who aren't aware, systemd is compatible with the sysvinit
versions of these tools, so you can run systemd with sysvinit
installed.)

--
Rich