On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 08:17:06PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:

*snip*

> Will the system boot if you don't install sysvinit and if you don't
> provide the /sbin/init wrapper for /sbin/openrc-init?

No, but this is also true if you remove sysvinit and install systemd
with the sysv-utils use flag turned off, or if you install runit and
remove sysvinit.

If /sbin/init doesn't exist, you have to configure your boot loader to
pass init=/some/path/binary to the kernel.

(see the examples in /etc/default/grub).

I don't want to remove sysvinit by default. If you want to remove it,
you can, but I don't want to force that issue. That's why I don't want
to turn the use flag on by default like systemd does.

William