On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 9:25 AM Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The QA team would like to introduce the following policy:
>
> """
> Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags (e.g.
> USE=man or USE=doc).  If upstream does not ship prebuilt manpages
> and building them requires additional dependencies, the maintainer
> should build them and ship along with the package.
> """
>

> Explanatory note:
>
> This applies to having USE flags that specifically control building
> manpages.  It obviously does not affect:
>
> a. USE flags that disable building both a program and its manpage (e.g.
> if USE=gui disables building gfrobnicate, not installing gfrobnicate(1)
> is correct),
>
> b. use of LINGUAS to control installed manpages.
>

> Rationale:
>
> Manpages are the basic form of user documentation on Gentoo Linux.  Not
> installing them is harmful to our users.  On the other hand, requiring
> additional dependencies is inconvenient.  Therefore, packaging prebuilt
> manpages (whenever upstream doesn't do that already) is a good
> compromise that provides user with documentation without additional
> dependencies.
>

> What are your comments?

I'm against this.

I seriously doubt maintainers will take the time/effort to pre-build
and distribute manpages. The end result of this will be additional
hard dependencies on heavyweight packages.

I would prefer to give users the choice NOT to install these heavy
packages. If USE=doc is not sufficent, introduce a new flag for it.