Hi,

Looking at the new eclasses for acct-user and acct-group.

These enforce that a group and user id should be set.

This is not a requirement for enewuser nor enewgroup.

As a further discrepancy, the user eclass requires >0 for the IDs, whereas the checks in acct-user and acct-group is for >= 0.

Would it be ok to suggest that we allow -1 (or 0, but that could be confused with the root user/group) in acct-user and acct-group to specify "no specific id, please allocate dynamically"?

Use case:  I'm building some experimental packages in an overlay, and I really don't care what the UID and GID values are, I just need something unique on the host I can use to avoid running the service as root.  Guessing I could just manually useradd -r but then again ... if I do later submit these into the main tree (or other packages) then it becomes a problem, and maintaining acct-{user,group}/* outside of main tree could conflict with main tree at a later stage ... either way, having some way to say "I honestly don't care, just give me a random number" is probably a good thing.

Kind Regards,
Jaco