Hi Michał,

On 2019/08/02 19:06, Michał Górny wrote:
On Fri, 2019-08-02 at 12:24 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
On 8/2/19 11:58 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
Given that overlays won't do proper assignment, the numbers they choose
may collide with numbers used in ::gentoo.  Forcing explicit assignment
from dynamic range is cleaner in that regard.

I think it would be cleanest to leave the hacks in the overlay, and set
the desired ID to either 999 or a random number like floppym suggested.
The meaning of RANDOM is even more clear than "-1", and doesn't require
us to add both the code that's dead-on-arrival and the CI check to
ensure that it stays that way. But you're the one who's maintaining it
now so I won't argue.

I suppose setting it to 999 would also serve the purpose.  Jaco, do you
agree?

No objections.

999 I think is probably as good a reserved "don't care" number as any, since really the first dynamic allocation will already use that.

Kind Regards,
Jaco