On 8/30/19 11:11 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Sat, 2019-08-31 at 00:03 -0700, Georgy Yakovlev wrote:
<snip>
>> +altivec - Use the AltiVec instruction set
>> +vsx - Use the Vector Scalar Extension instruction set (POWER7 and later)
>> +vsx3 - Use the Vector Scalar Extension v.3 instruction set (POWER9 and
>> later)
>
> Do all those flags have real use cases in ::gentoo?  I'd really prefer
> not having more 'unused flag' warnings ;-).

yeah, I have mentioned possible users above and there are plenty I
haven't identified yet. patches to ebuilds will follow, I promise =)

for example x264 if built with proper flags gives a noticeable boost,
(at least 2x at encoding), totally worth it.

ppc will not have a lot of flags like on arm or x86, maybe a couple
more, but that's it for now.