Hi,

On 2019/10/25 20:14, William Hubbs wrote:
Hey all,

I have been advised to bring this topic back to the list before taking
any action, so here it is.

First, I need to clarify what I'm *NOT* talking about.

This discussion has nothing to do with whether or not you have the
split-usr use flag turned on; all of us officially have that on because
/bin, /lib* and /sbin are directories in the official Gentoo setup. In
other words, I am *not* talking about forcing the /usr merge.

Unfortunately, the concept of separate usr has gotten wrapped up in the
split-usr use flag and doesn't have to be.  For the record, I mean something
very specific when I say "separate usr". I am talking about the situation
where /usr is a mount point separate from /, so in this thread, let's stick
to "separate usr" for that situation. I am *not* even saying that using
separate usr is wrong or unsupported. You can even run separate usr with
split-usr turned off if you would like to do so.

Now for the use case I want to talk about, and that is using separate
/usr without using an initramfs to boot your system and pre-mount /usr.

If you do this, many things are broken, and this is why the binary
distros all use an initramfs if you do this. This configuration is also
unsupported officially in Gentoo [1] [2], and it is not shown as the
example setup in our handbook.

I want to hear from people who have / and /usr on separate partitions
and who are not using an initramfs.

If you are in this group, I have a very specific question. Why aren't
you using an initramfs?

Because until recently it wasn't an issue.  So for me the final kicker was still not a separate /usr.  For my use case everything except a big warning about md5sum not being available during boot works.  This is NOT desktop setup for MOST of my systems.  On the few that are I don't generally have things like bluetooth keyboards etc that I need available during early(ish) boot or anything crazy.  So the argument that "many things break" may be accurate, but I've yet to find a concrete example that bugs me enough to care.

There is basically one thing that I found that broke "out of the box" with a separate /usr - and that's if I have one of those stupid LTE modem things that pretend to be a disk drive/cdrom or something similar until you tell it to switch to network mode. The same thing that, for me, breaks with suspend resume (after resume I have to kill modem_manager, and start it *before* replugging the modem or it simply will not work - another discussion).

So frankly, I just don't see the benefit.  The reason I've eventually bothered with setting up and creating an initramfs now was because of /lib/firmware which I need available during module load (pre /etc/init.d/localmount) so that firmware is available as soon as amdgpu and i915 loads or else I end up with a borked screen.  Only uefi fb compiled into the kernel (required to get hand-over from grub2 ... at least, the only way I could get it to work smoothly).

The initramfs we ONLY pull in on systems where it's required (one currently, the machine I'm typing this on).

Why do I have /lib/firmware on a separate partition now?  Because 512MB for / used to be plenty, and I have MANY history systems out there which is non-trivial to make partitioning changes to (I keep / in a raw partition).  Now just /lib/firmware is larger than that.

Like William, / and /boot are definite partitions, and I want to keep these small.  Everything else is LVM.  Most systems have >50% of VG space unallocated because people always overestimate what they really need.

Separate partitions means I can set up separate mount options (nosuid,nodev etc ...)

Like William, I feel more cogs means more opportunities for breakage. I roll my own vanilla kernel, with one or two of my own patches.  I roll my own init script for initramfs.  Why - because system bootability is of utmost importance.  So I absolutely have to KNOW that it'll work, and when it doesn't that I can walk someone through fixing it over the phone. Never used the default gentoo initramfs.  genkernel always pulls in stuff I don't want nor need.  Sometimes it's just simpler I guess.  But that's the thing - Gentoo gives me CHOICE.  Which I don't get from other distributions.  These are not the kind of things I like to leave to chance, or in the hands of a continuously changing tool (eg, dracut as mentioned by William).

Recently we ran into a bug causing filesystem corruption on /usr/portage (for some reason it was always under /usr/portage). With /usr on a separate partition we could recover that by setting appropriate boot options *remotely*.  No need to drive out.  Some of these systems were >100km away.

So another motivation for separate / and /usr for me is that / is much more read-heavy than /usr, and as such, with the lower write ratio lower risk of corruption.  Better ability to recover.

As to why not use the initramfs - simple:  It's not needed.

The only potential advantage in my opinion is if you can build a recovery system in there that's small enough, and contains all conceivable tools required to recover from just about any boot failure.  Work-in-progress I guess.

I'm not sure that answers your question, and this is one of those debates that can run in circles for hours, days and even weeks. So I hope I at least managed to give you some insight into my thinking and reasoning.

Kind Regards,
Jaco