On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 9:08 AM Michael 'veremitz' Everitt
<gen...@veremit.xyz> wrote:

> On 16/11/19 16:59, Matt Turner wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 1:06 AM Jaco Kroon <j...@uls.co.za> wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> I both agree and disagree with this.  It's the simpler solution and
> >> therefore I agree.
> >>
> >> I disagree because in some cases I really only want specific firmware
> >> for specific sets of hardware (especially where space constraints are an
> >> issue, read: embedded type systems).
> >>
> >> The current linux-firmware package is getting quite big in terms of
> >> install.
> > USE=savedconfig allows you to choose exactly which files to install :)
> >
> I've never found a good way (yet...) to figure out how to write a fresh new
> 'savedconfig' if you haven't ever previously emerged the package in
> question. Does anyone have a good method for this, that doesn't require
> unpacking the whole nine yards (Megs, Gigs...) first?

You could look at the upstream git repo and make a list based on that.

Or, since you have to download the tarball anyway, ebuild ... unpack
it and inspect.

Or, use the live ebuild to avoid downloading the same data multiple
times per tarball.

Or, if you want maximal bandwidth savings don't bother with any of
this and install the files you want manually since the files aren't
going to change.