On 24/11/2019 12:15, Benda Xu wrote:
Given the python-2 countdown deadline being 2020-01-01, a month away,
shall we get rid of python-2?

If the answer is no, to avoid holding back new versions having only
python3, such as bug 671796 for dev-python/matplotlib bump, old versions
with python_targets_python2_7 and new versions without should be
co-installable into different SLOTs.

Rather than slots, perhaps a separate directory hierarchy containing only python2 + deps (/opt/python2 ?) i.e. it's just a --prefix change

It's ugly I know but the advantage is the majority of installations with python3 don't see any change and they'll have a clean python3 only /usr. Anyone who wants/needs python2 will be happy to put up with the ugliness and pull all the duplicate deps in (yes, have duplicate set of ebuilds for python2 only deps - dev-python2/* - forked off and with the understanding that no new features, this is a semi-temporary situation until python2 can finally die properly). Also, I think it helps everyone psychologically to have a very visible separation.

Not being a dev and with my lack of a deep understanding of python there's probably an big reason this idea is a non-starter, so just throwing it out there.