Hi,

I fully agree with #3. But I would go one step further:

Make complete SYS_UID_MIN - SYS_UID_MAX range available for GLEP 81.

The only argument/reason I am aware of, "but 501-999 could be used by
system" (Dynamic allocation by user.eclass), isn't strong enough from my
POV because system administrator can already pick something between
SYS_UID_MIN-MAX so system must be already capable of dealing with such
scenarios. So why do you think this range must be reserved? Isn't
blocking 501-999 just another random choice?

Therefor I would change the recommendation to pick highest free number.
I.e. it should be recommended to pick the lowest free UID/GID pair
instead (just to avoid fragmentation and keep 501+ free as long as
possible).

--
Regards,
Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer