On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 4:49 PM James Le Cuirot <ch...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 13:10:34 -0400
> David Michael <fedora....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to be able to install qt5 packages in a sysroot for staging,
> > and this is an initial patch for it.  The pkg-config variables might not
> > be required, but it seemed appropriate to pass the sysroot-configured
> > versions through the build.  There are a few caveats:
> >
> >   - The upstream configure scripts do some bad things like this:
> >     https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtbase.git/tree/configure.pri#n363
> >     That makes the build fail for systems using lib64 (e.g. amd64).  I'm
> >     able to work around this by defining PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR for dev-qt/*.
>
> Indeed, that sucks. We should probably patch that out. I don't know
> what it means where it says "or use -pkg-config to override this test",
> do you?

I'm not sure, since -pkg-config is already being used by the eclass.
Maybe it was supposed to reference the -force-pkg-config option, which
I haven't tried.

> I suspect you could define PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=/ or anywhere that
> simply exists and it will still work because our wrapper redefines that
> variable anyway.
>
> >   - This isn't for real cross-compiling.  There are places where it
> >     tries to execute cross-compiled programs that I haven't investigated
> >     yet, so this is only for building a sysroot for an architecture
> >     compatible with the build system for now.
>
> Understood. I did try to do cross-compiling with Qt4 once upon a time
> and I did make a little headway but it wasn't fun.
>
> >   - The qt packages depend on each other being installed in / as well as
> >     the sysroot, so their ebuilds will need BDEPENDs added.
>
> I imagine you'd at least need qtcore for qmake and moc. Probably not
> the rest though?

I needed qtcore, qtgui, and qtwidgets in /, but it's possible there
are just bad configure scripts that I didn't dig into yet.  As for VLC
deps:
  - qtcore works as is
  - qtgui requires qtcore for bootstrap-private in /
  - qtwidgets requires qtgui in / for some opengl check
  - qtsvg and qtx11extras need qmake to build, but their packages will
be empty unless qtwidgets is installed in /