Hello,

Following the timeline published earlier (and copied to [1]), Python 3.7
deprecation starts today.  All developers are requested to install
Python 3.8 and start testing their packages against it.  While at it,
testing against Python 3.9 would also be welcome.

QA reports provide a list [2] and a graph [3] of packages needing
porting.  To be honest, the only major nuisance in Python 3.8 I can
recall right now is that 'python-3.8' pkg-config file no longer includes
'-lpython3.8' and packages that need it need to switch to
'python-3.8-embed' instead.  If you can think of other problems, please
ping me and I'll add some tips to python-guide [4] soonish.

As usual, please add or fix tests to your packages.

Python 3.8 is planned to become the default on 2020-12-01.

Thank you all for your hard work!

[1]
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Python/Implementations#Implementation_support_timeline
[2] https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/37-to-38.txt