On Fri, 4 Sep 2020 09:06:46 -0400
Michael Orlitzky <m...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 2020-09-04 08:54, Alexis Ballier wrote:
> >
> > py37 will (*) still be installed as it cannot be depcleaned because
> > of 1. emerge won't fail since deps are satisfied.
> >

> > (*) or rather should, but I think the only case that matters is a
> > valid system state where noone forced uninstall of a needed package
> > or manually rm'ed some random files
> >

> There's no need to speculate; use pkgcore for a month and come back
> and tell me how much comfort these hypotheticals were.

there's no speculation in assuming a consistent set of installed
packages (consistent as specified in... PMS ;) ); there is, however,
speculation in the hypothetical error messages when the installed set
of packages is inconsistent

> >> or..
> >>
> >>   3b. Some reverse dependency of foo-1.2.3 gets python-3.8 support.
> >>   4b. A user tries to install that revdep, but the PM sees that
> >>       the latest version of foo is already installed, and it (the
> >>       installed version) doesn't support python-3.8. Mysterious
> >>       error messages and manual intervention ensue.
> >

> > precisely the case I wrote above: unsatisfied dep -> pull ebuild.
> > non-issue too.
>
> It's easy to say "well this is not an issue because it can be solved
> by <thing no package manager does and is not part of the PMS>..."

are you kidding ? are you seriously suggesting adding to PMS that PM
needs to pull ebuilds to install packages ? good luck with that ;)