On Mon,  7 Sep 2020 08:14:52 +0200
Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> However, please
> +    do not include it in the <c>package.mask</c> entry as users do not need
> +    to be forced to proactively unmerge it.

I can think of a utilitarian value of doing this anyway.

Namely, it gives a window during `emerge -uD @world` where portage
tells you that they have a masked package installed, and the reason.

Ideally, people don't have virtuals in their world file, but they do
anyway, which means you can't guarantee the lack of dependents
resulting in a depclean directed purge.

And this can matter, as if its in your world file, or sometimes, if its
even still installed, portage can trip up during upgrades with a more
confusing error about the virtual not being installable.

Outdated overlays add to this problem somewhat. :/