Hi!

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 10:07:21 +0100 Marek Szuba wrote:

> >> RenPy 7.4.0, released on the 26th of November, features "new Python 3
> >> compatibility mode". It is of course up to the maintainer of this
> >> package to decide how to proceed but were this up to me, I would very
> >> much rather version-bump games-engines/renpy (in spite of 7.4.0 being
> >> described by upstream as a pre-release) than last-rite it altogether.

Looks like you misunderstood what "Python 3 compatibility mode"
means. See official explanation:
https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/changelog.html#python-2-python-3-compatibility-mode
Full Changelog
7.4.0
[...]
Python 2/Python 3 Compatibility Mode

While Ren'Py is not yet supported on Python 3, this release of
Ren'Py includes several features to allow you to begin writing
scripts that will work on both Python 2 and Python 3.

Just to be sure I tried to build renpy-7.4.0 using python3: it
fails because it still uses python2 code inside (but with import
future, so it can support scripts in python 3).

Python3 support for the RenPy itself is expected in 8.0 version.

> > Sure but I'm afraid the games will need explicit porting to py3 as well.
>
> Well, the games will probably have to go - if I see correctly we have
> currently got 4 games-engines/renpy revdeps in the tree
> (games-misc/katawa-shoujo, games-rpg/asphyxia, games-rpg/sakura-spirit,
> games-rpg/the-royal-trap) and they all explicitly depend on a slotted
> older version of the engine.

1. pygame_sdl2 is ported to python3, so there is no need to remove
it even if renpy will be temporarily gone.

2. It should be possible to keep renpy and games as masked in the
tree, but this will require users to setup some python2 env
themselves. If this is an acceptable option, I can bump renpy to
7.4.0 in the tree.

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko