Michał Górny wrote:
> I would like to discuss the possibility of discontinuing LibreSSL
> support in Gentoo in favor of sticking with OpenSSL.

I think that's a horrible idea, since Gentoo is about choice and this
particular component is one of the most important in a system.

But "support" can mean different things...

> LibreSSL users, does LibreSSL today have any benefit over OpenSSL?

Yes, at least two:

A. It is a distinct implementation with probably /quite some/ stable
compatibility, meaning that it will work perfectly fine as an
alternative in many cases.

B. It brings its own TLS API, a unique feature which by itself warrants
the package.

> All this considered, provided that nobody is able to find a good reason
> to use LibreSSL, I would like to propose that we stop patching
> packages, discontinue support for it and last rite it.

There is no reason at all to do all three of those atomically:

1. Stop patching packages to make them build also against libressl
2. Stop maintaining libressl-*.ebuild
3. package.mask

I think the complaint is really only about 1. and I can understand
that the effort here outweighs the perceived benefit, that's fine,
I don't think it's the responsibility of Gentoo developers to patch
the world to build also against libressl.

But as long as a single package can be built with either openssl or
libressl without changes I consider it appropriate to maintain both
libressl ebuilds and either virtual/openssl or another way to decide
system-wide to use libressl instead of openssl. This remains very
valuable especially for non-releng stages.

More elaborate OpenSSL API users can (arguably should) just block on
libressl instead of requiring patch work.

//Peter