On 1/5/21 8:43 AM, Jaco Kroon wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On 2021/01/05 13:08, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>>> I'd like feedback from people about the possibility of dropping support
>>> for uclibc-ng.  If you are unfamiliar, its the successor to uclibc as a
>>> C Standard Library for embedded systems, ie a replacement for glibc
>>> bloat.  However, it is inferior to musl which serves the same purpose
>>> and which has now well supported in Gentoo.
>>> I know people want musl support, but does anyone even care about
>>> uclibc-ng?  If not, I can work towards deprecating it and putting what
>>> little time I have towards musl.
>>> Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
>>> Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
>> Are you the only Gentoo developer working on musl and uclibc-ng?

I'm the only one working on uclibc-ng.  There are some people helping
with musl, especially the overlay.

>> One thing I might try with a Gentoo uclibc-ng system is convert to musl or
>> glibc using crossdev.
>>
>> From what I see on the internet, there is more support for musl than
>> uclibc-ng, and more people working with musl than with uclibc-ng.

It does seem that musl is winning the embedded libc race.

>> There is a musl-cross-make cross-toolchain that can be built from non-musl
>> or even non-Linux.
>>
>> https://github.com/richfelker/musl-cross-make
>
> I've used crossdev in the past.  It was a nasty experience, but I
> believe crossdev in Gentoo is getting better and better, and it supports
> many more targets.

Yes it is, which is why I'm preparing pre-build stage3's on several
arches so you don't have to x-compile.  I've done the nasty part for you.

>> From what I have seen, musl looks more promising than uclibc-ng, and more
>> user- and developer-friendly.
>>
>> Unless somebody wants to take over uclibc-ng for Gentoo, I say better for
>> you, with your limited time, to drop uclibc-ng in favor of musl.

Correct, if I had the time, I'd continue to support both.  But my time
is limited, so I need to concentrate.  I'm just looking for anyone to
scream if I'm destroying their world by dropping uclibc-ng.  If no one
does, then I'll begin the process of removing it from the tree.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
E-Mail    : bluen...@gentoo.org
GnuPG FP  : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB  DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
GnuPG ID  : F52D4BBA