On 2/10/21 12:57 PM, Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
Hi all,

I'm announcing a new project here - "binhost"

"The Gentoo Binhost project aims to provide readily installable, precompiled
packages for a subset of configurations, via central binary package hosting.
Currently we are still in the conceptual planning stage. "

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Binhost

If you're interested in helping out, feel free to add yourself on the wiki
page.

Note that I see actually *building* the packages not as the central point of
the project (that could be e.g. a side effect of a tinderbox). I'm more
concerned about
* what configurations should we use
maybe to start with, desktop profiles (gnome/qt/none + systemd/openrc) are
a good idea, these are the people who would benefit most.
This may not be enough, most people also enable extra flags
polkit/elogind/ttf/otf/wayland/pulseaudio
We can start with a default and gather feedback as to what new flags should
be enabled.
* what portage features are still needed or need improvements (e.g. binpkg
signing and verification)
somehow checking valid CFLAG/etc. compatibility, not sure how.
Some packages fail when built with differing flags
* how should hosting look like
Something like the list of profiles in eselect profile
(replace https by protocol of choice):

  https://binpkg.gentoo.org/amd64/17.1/desktop/
  https://binpkg.gentoo.org/amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome/

could potentially also be mirrored on rsync mirrors.

Cheers,
Aisha
* and how we can test this on a limited scale before it goes "into production"
* ...

Comments, ideas, flamebaits? :D

Cheers,
Andreas