Hi,

the Linux kernel has _a lot of_ configuration options, way too many to
configure them by hand.
Many of these configuration options seem to be kernel centric (they deactivate
a specific compilation unit, they deactivate specific source code parts).
However, my main configuration requirements as a user are mostly user space
program or feature centric. I want to activate kernel support for a specific
feature, e.g. docker support or cryptsetup support.

This requires a mapping between user oriented "features" and the kernel
internal configuration options. This mapping exists already at the Gentoo wiki
[e.g. 1, 2, 3].
Gentoo also provides (via gentoo-sources) a set of patches that adds some meta
configuration options to enable some of exactly that user specific features
(Systemd, OpenRC and Portage support).

Do you think that it is useful and feasible to combine these two mechanisms?
A possible way could be to automatically extract the kernel config flags from
the wiki pages and map them to Kconfig options.

Best regards,
Gerion

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Docker#Kernel
[2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dm-crypt#Kernel_Configuration