On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 01:00:01PM -0500, Matthias Maier wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> I have migrated my system to a merged /usr a while ago.
>
> In addition to moving everything to /usr and setting up symlinks, the
> main thing I had to do was to set up a /etc/portage/bashrc hook for
> post_src_install() that would move everything into /usr.
>
> Do we have native support in portage for this now?

From what I know, you don't need that hook. The ebuilds handle this now
by using the split-usr use flag, so if you add this to
/etc/portage/make.conf you should be ok.

USE="${USE} -split-usr"

Let me know if that isn't the case.

I'm not exactly sure what portage will do without your hook though. What
happens if you remove your hook then some ebuild tries to install
something in /bin for example? I would argue that, if /bin resolves to a
path, portage should just follow the symlink and install where the
symlink points.  I base this argument on the return of `test -d` for
this situation.

```
$ ln -s /usr/bin foo
$ [ -d foo ] && echo "foo is a path"