On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 5:19 PM Sam James <s...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > On 10 Apr 2021, at 01:13, Michael Orlitzky <m...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2021-04-10 at 00:32 +0100, Sam James wrote:
> >>

> >> Yes, this is the part I find difficult too. The important
> >> distinction here was *bootstrapping* (which I missed)
> >> but I think at least we should make a list of packages generally considered
> >> critical for bootstrap.
> >>

> > What is a bootstrap package?
> >
> > There is some chicken-and-egg problem to be solved, but I don't think
> > that we should be assuming that e.g. GNU grep is always present just
> > because, during the base case of some recursive process, POSIX grep
> > must be available temporarily.
> >
> > Anyway, https://bugs.gentoo.org/485356 awaits reopening if you make any
> > progress on this.
> >

> Oh, I agree completely. CCed myself on the bug and added to the list
> to think about/work on.
>
> I’m pleased a bug existed in the past! I don’t agree with it being closed
> though:
> documentation issues can exist without a patch existing to fix them yet,
> right?

I worry a lot about more complex dependencies trees (imagine all of
the exciting cycles in the currently excluded @system depgraph.)
Remember that while in theory it would be great if portage knew about
all of them; computing these nodes and edges isn't free. I question
what we are really buying with the extra complexity.

-A