> On 16 Jun 2021, at 10:13, Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> [snip]

The only case not covered by your questions is where an IRC client
might autojoin #gentoo@libera (Smuxi does this with #smuxi) in which
case we want to update it.

> 1. Should we be proactively changing the default network in IRC clients
> (provided they have one) from Freenode to Libera.chat?

No, I think this is a bit too opinionated. The exception would be if upstream
made made this change but it's not yet in a release.

What we may want to do is add a one-off elog about Gentoo's support
services being on Libera and/or a link to our page about this:
https://www.gentoo.org/get-involved/irc-channels/

> 1a. If yes, then should we also make a change if clients default to
> network other than Freenode?

N/A.

> 2. Should we be proactively *removing* Freenode from the network list
> in IRC clients (provided they have one)?

No, this is too opinionated and some channels are staying there (even if
they'll move later).

> 2a. Should we be adding Libera.chat to the list even if we do not remove
> Freenode?

Yes, as it's a new and very prominent network and most IRC clients don't seem
to have had
a new release since its birth.

thanks,
sam