On Wed, 2021-08-04 at 14:35 +0200, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
> On 2021-08-04 04:56, Sam James wrote:
> > Sure, thanks for the clarification. It's deprecated in the sense of
> > ebuilds installing to it though, right?
>
> Well, it triggered me because saying it's deprecated implies two
> things
> for me:
>
> 1) It was OK for packages to do that in the past
>
> 2) Something has changed upstream
>
> Regarding 1)
> It was never OK for packages to install in that location. That will
> break the override mechanism systemd introduced. I.e. packages were
> and
> are still only allowed to install below /usr (/lib), to allow local
> system administrators to override installed unit/tmpfiles spec by
> placing a file with the same name in the corresponding directory in
> /etc.
>

> Regarding 2)
> Nothing has changed upstream regarding these locations.
>

> I personally hope that this QA check will never fire in hope we never
> added an ebuild doing something like that but in the end, that's the
> idea of having such a check: To notice something like that, just in
> case ;-)

So you've created a big commotion... because you didn't get the initial
point? Honestly, this seems to be a recurring theme at this point.
Someone suggests some improved check/some change, and nowadays you can
bet 50 quid that Whissi will pop up and bikeshed it in some way.

It's become a real problem at this point. In fact, we have proxy
maintainers publicly refusing to work on packages somehow involving you
(I'll mention no names, but check the #-desktop backlog), because your
personality boils down to three attributes nowadays:

1. If I say the sky is blue, you'll say it's green. If I say it's green,
you'll say it's blue. I've had at least 5 people tell me they see the
exact same pattern in you (and no, mgorny is not part of that set,
before you throw that point at me). You're the textbook contrarian of
Gentoo ("Wutbürger") right now.
2. You'll tell people they are wrong, they aren't following protocols,
they made a mistake, but you will never follow through with actually
telling people what/why or how. By the time people ask you "why?",
you've already disappeared. Given how frequently this happens in
multiple channels, projects and at different time points, statistically,
this can't be explained by coincidence any more. This happens
practically on a daily basis, so you're not getting the benefit of the
doubt any more.
3. You can't let go. The security elections disaster right now is the
prime example (yes, it's public, just check the history of the Security
Project). This captures you so well: it's all about **community** and
stuff, until you lose, then you start invoking technicalities and
procedural shenanigans to justify some ludicrous kind of "co-lead" crap.
Frankly, it's embarrassing, and you're at the centre of it. Instead of
accepting defeat (remember, community and democracy!), you just fudge
the results.

At this point, you should really reflect on your current standing in
Gentoo. I'm not saying this to disparage you, but to appeal to some kind
of self-respect.