> On 24 Aug 2021, at 11:24, Jaco Kroon <j...@uls.co.za> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> We run glibc based systems.  No musl.  But we don't use systemd.
>
> As little as a year back we still ran into issues with systemd-udev
> variant breaking systems, the fix of course was to nuke it and install
> eudev.  Are we certain there is nothing (eg, LVM integration was our
> biggest problem resulting in really crazy impossible to debug since we
> can't log in due to lvn snapshot creation/removal deadlocking with
> systemd-udev - no ask me not how, all I can tell you is that eudev never
> exhibited this behaviour) will break?

The problem is that this is a bit indirect. blueness could've easily
ended up backporting whatever commit causes your issue, if it is
indeed udev, because the idea wasn't to be frozen in time anyway;
this just kind of happened accidentally because of time commitments.

I appreciate this is going to be a huge pain to debug but reporting
this upstream is the only proper fix here.

> Whilst I fully appreciate the difficult of all the various e* packages
> (elogind, eudev etc ..) and I most certainly do not have the capacity to
> maintain, and therefore I'm in full support of the concept of
> deprecating eudev, I'm very, very worried about us suddenly being back
> into the reboot-a-server-a-week scenario.  In the worst case we've lost
> some large filesystems almost certainly due to systemd-udev (we've had a
> number of filesystem crashes which was recovered with fsck, but after
> ditching systemd-udev and moving to eudev about two years back on this
> specific host we've had ZERO further problems other than a failed drive
> or two, none of which required a hard-reset to get back to a sane state).

I don't doubt this happened as I know you're a persistent debugger,
although my hope is that whatever issue you hit has been solved, especially
given udev is used by Debian/Fedora/RHEL and all the rest of it. But I accept
that if this was <= 1 year ago, that argument doesn't hold quite as much water.

I suppose it'd be worth looking to see if there were any kernel or LVM2
regressions
fixed around that time too.

best,
sam