On Tuesday, 9 November 2021 2:41:53 PM NZDT Sam James wrote:
> > On 8 Nov 2021, at 11:18, Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > A few years back I've slotted LLVM and Clang to make the life with
> > revdeps easier.  Long story short, every major LLVM release (which
> > happens twice a year) breaks API and it takes some time for revdeps to
> > adjust.  Slotting made it possible to install multiple versions
> > simultaneously, and therefore let "faster" packages use newer LLVM
> > without being blocked by "slower" packages on the user's system.
> >
> > Unfortunately, this ended up pretty bothersome to maintain.  Besides
> > making ebuilds quite complex (and prone to mistakes), I'm hearing more
> > and more reports of programs being broken through getting multiple LLVM
> > versions in the link chain.
>
> I think this might just be Blender and friends which are especially fragile.
>
> We may be able to get away with just coordinating those together.
>
> > WDYT?
>
> If we can help it, I'd really really prefer we don't. Being able to test
> various different various of Clang quickly (just like gcc) is really
> helpful.

I agree. Personally, it's allowed me to narrow down a few bugs in programs/
test suites which only occur with specific LLVM/Clang versions. While I could
just build the different versions locally, slotting in combination with
package.env really has made testing easier.

> (especially given one day, we might dare to dream of using Clang
> for the system toolchain. It becomes a lot easier to check for
> regressions if you can just flip the version.)

I'd love to see this one day :-)