On 2021-11-25 18:01, Piotr Karbowski wrote:
https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/blob/master/sys-libs/glibc/glibc-2.34-r2.ebuild#L643

Would you see something like this on more ebuilds, postgres, mysql, elasticsearch, or have proper FEATURE flag for it instead?

It's all cool and giggles until you realize that even such random variable is not even prefixed with PORTAGE_ or anything, meaning it could be taken out of shell and meant for entirely different thing.

Yeah, sounds like the I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING thing which you end up having enabled globally for various reasons.

But thank you Pacho. This is indeed a good suggestion and we will have a look how we can improve (there is also some work happening upstream: dev-db/mysql-8+ for example removed mysql_upgrade command and will take care of everything by itself and prevent startup when it detects a downgrade and there is some discussion for such a feature for 10.7 (probably too late) or 10.8).

--
Regards,
Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer