> - If Gentoo adds an acct-user/foo user, and that user already exists
> on my system with the wrong UID: the eclass dies[0].

I don't think that's correct. The eclass will just use the already
existing UID then (except for the very few acct-user packages that
define ACCT_USER_ENFORCE_ID).

> - If Gentoo adds an acct-user/foo user, with uid=12345, and that uid
> is assigned to a user on my system already, the eclass dies.

Similar to above, the eclass will dynamically allocate another UID that
is free.

> - Some environments are very old, and so real users have unexpected
> uids; this includes Gentoo itself.
>    - Gentoo (the community) used to allocate UIDs to devs in the
> 500-1000 range and we have 17 active developers with UIDs in that
> range. So for example if we allocate one of these UIDs to an acct-*
> package; that package will not be installable on woodpecker without
> modification because those UIDs are already taken.

See above.

Also, why would one allocate UIDs in the 500..999 range (1000 is fine,
actually)? Gentoo always had UID_MIN=1000 and SYS_UID_MAX=999.

Ulrich