> On Montag, 20. Februar 2017 22:47:17 CET Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
>> 1) Putting printer drivers into "net-print" is silly.
>>
>> Something that converts format a to device-specific format b has absolutely
>> nothing to do with network.
>> So, a new category "sys-print", emphasizing that it's hardware drivers, (or
>> "cups-drv"?) (or maybe "media-print"?) might make sense.
>>
>> 2) After introducing that, however, "net-print" becomes nearly empty.
>>
>> On a quick glance, the only *network*-specific packages in there are cups
>> and lprng. Maybe one or two more which I dont recognize.

Historically these were the first two packages in the net-print
category. Looks like it has grown from there, with later packages not
really fitting the category's definition.

>> So move cups and lprng to "net-misc" and drop "net-print"?
>> Or move them to new "sys-print" as well?
>>
>> What do you think?

> I would like to resume this discussion on the occasion of a new [shameless
> plug] package PAPPL that is to be packaged, see also [1], from the point
> before discussion went off on an X-Y categories tangent.

> Here's a list of suggestions made for a new category so far, ordered from
> (seemingly) best- to least-liked:

> media-print
> sys-print
> app-print(ing)

media-print sounds good. media-gfx would be another possibility.
Scanning software like sane is already there.

Or we could find an umbrella term for printing and scanning, and move
both to that category.

> I agree net-print should not remain after such a move.

+1