On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 7:39 PM Sam James <s...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 3 Jan 2022, at 17:16, Alec Warner <anta...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

> I'm trying to understand your principles here. Like on what basis do
> you remove or add flags (in general).
>
> I want to remove:
> - bash-completion
>

> FWIW, I've managed to remove basically all instances of {bash,zsh}-completion
> and made upstream PRs (all of one of which have been merged!) for fixing
> `./configure` behaviour accordingly.
>
> This is in align with our small files policy:
> https://projects.gentoo.org/qa/policy-guide/installed-files.html#pg0301.
>
> - acl
> - ldap
>

> ACL is kind of similar to what Ionen said for PAM, i.e. sometimes
> people may want to turn it off and it makes sense to expose
> this option for those who do, but we don't need to try support it.

I feel like 'acl' or 'pam' or 'policykit' are not really USE flags in
the general sense. They are more like profile settings. You don't want
to toggle these flags, you want to switch profiles. I think
conceptually profile migrations are larger changes that require a
rebuild of a bunch of stuff, and typically have downtime (e.g. where
your system isn't expected to work the entire time.)

There are practical problems with profile proliferation, but I think
it is closer to what these flags represent, if that makes sense.

-A