On 18.1.2022 4.58, Ionen Wolkens wrote:

> Unsure what I like best, I generally agree should default to sources
> but I do see new users complaining about building rust every few days.
> Not that the step of telling them that rust-bin exists is that bad
> (part of the issue is that they don't know it's an option).

Indeed, can see both ways. On my desktop I use rust, and on my
laptop+containers rust-bin. Having to package.mask rust so rust-bin gets
pulled might not be the first thing new users are aware.

To make things more complicated...
IUSE="+binary"
RDEPEND="binary? ( ~dev-lang/rust-bin-${PV} )
        !binary? ( ~dev-lang/rust-${PV} )"

or "+pre-compiled" or something ;)

-- juippis