> I think actually the argument I'm making this time might be subtly
> different from the motions that folks went through last year.
> Specifically, the idea last year was to switch to using BLAKE2b only.
> I think what the arguments I'm making now point to is switching to
> SHA2-512 only.

Still, I think that if we drop one of the hashes then we should proceed
with the original plan. That is, keep the more modern BLAKE2B (which was
a participant of the SHA-3 competition [1]) and drop the older SHA512.

Back then, we had the choice between adding SHA3_512 and BLAKE2B, and we
preferred BLAKE2B for performance reasons.

I also think that the argument about the OpenPGP signature isn't very
strong, because replacing that signature by another one using a
different hash is trivial. As I said before, replacing all Manifest
files in the tree isn't.

Ulrich

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIST_hash_function_competition