On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 06:54:21PM +0500, Anna wrote:
> On 2022-05-31 07:23, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
> > Implementation / available wrappers / usefulness still up for debate,
> > but without further comments I consider this ready (albeit first time
> > touching / making an eclass, so I could be overlooking simple things).
> > Also partly uses >=bash-4.4, so EAPI-7 is not considered.
>
> From ebuild(5):
> > Beginning with EAPI 4, the dosed helper no longer exists
> > Ebuilds should call sed(1) directly (and assume that it is GNU
> > sed).
>
> What were the reasons to remove this helper? Do they still apply to esed
> as an eclass?

Haven't looked up exact history, but afaik dosed existed because of sed
formerly not having -i. And editing files in-place was tedious in
ebuilds with cp/mv. With -i becoming commonplace (PMS also requires
GNU sed) it lost its purpose beside just allowing to skip -i/||die.

esed does bring back the -i/die skipping but that's not its inherent
purpose and GNU sed currently does not support a mean to report if
changes occurred (if this happens, esed may well become obsolete too).

--
ionen