> On 25 Jun 2022, at 09:34, Agostino Sarubbo <a...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> Hello all.
>
> This is to make you aware that, per sam request, tinderbox is testing the
> tree against lto.
>
> At the time of writing, the CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS tested are:
> -flto -Werror=odr -Werror=lto-type-mismatch -Werror=strict-aliasing
>
> They are mentioned in the comment 0 of each bug.
>
> To make it more explicit, '(lto)' will appear in the summary too.
>
> The buglist is available here: https://tinyurl.com/yc4tu3cj

Thanks ago.

From my perspective, the important thing here is to identify packages with
serious quality
issues and then filter-lto (which should be added to flag-o-matic.eclass
shortly) and/or
force -fno-strict-aliasing where appropriate.

Maintainers aren't expected to dive in and fix these themselves. Depending on
the
status upstream, please filter-lto (and possibly append relevant flags depending
on the error), and if it's alive, report upstream.

Of course, feel free to fix it if you feel like. But the first step here is to
avoid
silent bad runtime behaviour. Hence filtering is not a sin.

(Also, none of of the -Werror=* failures are going to be issues which
only show up with LTO anyway.)

Best,
sam