...snip

> > In that case, I think the only viable way to make this work is to
> > disable automatic stripping and handle stripping via custom code in
> > the ebuild/eclass.
> >
> might work indeed if we do something like (pseudo-bash)
>
> if [[ module_sign == yes ]]; then
>     dostrip -x /lib/modules # to stop portage stripping .ko objects
>     manual-strip-respecting-features-nostrip -r /lib/modules
>     sign-all-modules -r /lib/modules
> fi
> [[ compress_modules == yes ]] && compress-modules -r /lib/modules
>

> this will equire eapi-bumping couple of packages
> https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/eapi-per-eclass/linux-mod.eclass/6.txt
> and restricting linux-mod.eclass to eapi7 or later.

started playing with my old code and got blocked right away:

looks like dostrip just creates a list of files/directories to strip
and processed at the very end of install phase.

so skipping strip and doing manual one might be problematic.
internally portage uses estrip
https://github.com/gentoo/portage/blob/master/bin/estrip
which contains quite a lot of logic and code and I don't think
partially re-implementing this in eclass code is appropriate.