Am 11.07.22 um 20:14 schrieb Mike Gilbert:
On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 1:57 PM Ulrich Mueller <u...@gentoo.org> wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jul 2022, Mike Gilbert wrote:

Maybe leave ebegin/eend in place then, which was invented precisely for
this use case? What's so bad about nesting it?

It leads to odd looking output.

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/portage.git/commit/?id=eba088af8f335c0adb386461e6df1267e24800e7

IIUC it would look like this, with the patch applied:

  *   task 1
  * Doing task 2 ... [ ok ]
  *   task 1 succeeded

That's not the most beautiful of outputs either.

Right. I would prefer to apply the first patch I submitted instead.

How about output like:

 * Doing task 1 ...

 |  * Doing task 2 ...

 |  \> [ ok ]

 | additional log from task 1

 | line 2 of task 1 log

 \> [ !! ]

This would require keeping track of the current "indentation" level/prepend "| " to each output for every level. But not sure if is possible/how difficult it is to implement. Just sort of a quick idea.