Sam James wrote:

> Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 9:36 AM Eddie Chapman <ed...@ehuk.net> wrote:
>>
>>> in Gentoo. Have any of these 4 maintainers publicly said (anywhere)
>>> that they are not interested in being maintainers anymore (which is
>>> fine if that is the case)?  We're not talking here about a lone
>>> maintainer of some peripheral package that's disappeared leaving an
>>> orphaned package.
>>
>> It isn't like somebody is censoring the lists or waging commit wars on
>> the metadata.xml/mask file.  If somebody was eager to maintain it I'm
>> sure they'd have spoken up.
>>
>>> I'm an outsider to Gentoo development (just a heavy user for over a
>>> decade both personally and professionally) so I might have missed
>>> something. I just find it puzzling.
>>
>> I'm not puzzled by what is going on, or by your email, because it
>> happens basically anytime a high-profile package is treecleaned.  Yes,
>> Gentoo is about choice, but somebody has to actually do work to make
>> the choices viable.  There are always more people interested in using
>> software than maintaining it.  The frustration is completely
>> understandable, but also kinda unavoidable.
>>
>> Repo QA standards don't mean that it has to barely work for your
>> specific use case.  The package has to deal with compatibility issues
>> with stuff you don't use as well, which is why maintaining a system
>> package can be hard work.  It is usually less of an issue for more
>> ordinary applications, which tend to have fewer interactions.  If it is
>> "good enough" for you as it is, then just move it to a private
>> overlay and keep using it.  You probably would need to override a virtual
>> or two as well.  Or publish your work somewhere others can use it.
>
> Yes. We value having a coherent system with decent UX and we have
> to choose what we can support. Users are free to override those choices in
> local repositories - and if they want advice on the best way to do so,
> they're free to ask.

Yes I regularly do this if there is a piece of software not in the tree, I
have a local repo full of stuff. But this argument doesn't hold as much
weight when it comes to a package like this which is integrated in the
core of the system. People who really want to continue using it are going
to experience a lot of pain trying to maintain it for themselves out of
tree, much more so than they would normally. That's one reason why I think
the decision deserves more scrutiny.